Can Rabbits Eat Onions?

Onions and rabbits don’t mix! But just how dangerous are these pungent bulbs for our floppy-eared friends? From the tear-inducing compounds to the risks of toxicity, onions pose a serious hidden threat. Even the tiniest amount can be deadly over time. Must you rush your rabbit to the vet if they snatched a bite of onion? Can cunning rabbits ever safely indulge in these savory vegetables? What exactly makes onions so toxic? Uncover the shocking truth about onions and rabbits! From deadly diseases to grisly symptoms, this guide details the chilling hazards of onion along with smart safety tips for all rabbit owners. Keep reading and equip yourself to protect your rabbits!

Why Are Onions So Dangerous?

Onions contain compounds called disulfides and thiosulphates which are toxic to rabbits. These compounds can cause hemolytic anemia, Heinz body anemia and oxidative damage to the red blood cells of rabbits. Even a small amount of onion can be dangerous.

The thiosulphates in onions damage the hemoglobin in the blood, which carries oxygen. Damaged hemoglobin forms structures called Heinz bodies which makes blood cells stiff and unable to carry oxygen effectively. This leads to anemia and lack of oxygen in the tissues of the body.

Onions also contain oxidants that can directly damage the red blood cell membrane causing anemia. The anemia causes lethargy, poor appetite and brown urine in rabbits. Severe onion toxicity can cause death of rabbits.

Rabbits lack a specific enzyme called thiopurine methyltransferase which helps metabolize thiosulphates. So thiosulphates from onions get accumulated in the blood and cause toxicity. This makes rabbits very susceptible to onion poisoning.

Another compound called n-propyl disulfide in onions also causes anemia by directly attacking the red blood cells.

Even small amounts of onion given over weeks can lead to toxicity as the compounds get accumulated over time. Toxicity can occur with all forms like raw, cooked, powdered or dehydrated onions. The leaves, flesh and juice of onions are all toxic.

So onions are very dangerous for pet rabbits due to the sulfur-containing compounds which damage their red blood cells and hemoglobin leading to severe anemia and lack of oxygen. Rabbits lack the enzyme to metabolize these toxic compounds making them highly prone to onion poisoning.

What Should I Do If My Rabbit Eats Onions?

If your rabbit accidentally ingests onions, immediate veterinary care is crucial. Onion toxicity can lead to severe and fatal anemia in rabbits. So prompt action is necessary. Here are some steps to take:

  • If the ingestion was very recent, induce vomiting gently by stroking the rabbit's throat or giving 1-2ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. This may remove some onion from the stomach if done soon after eating. But do it gently and carefully.

  • Rush the rabbit to a veterinarian immediately after the incident. Inform the vet about the onion ingestion.

  • The vet will check blood cell counts and look for Heinz bodies and anemia. Supportive treatment for anemia like fluids, oxygen and blood transfusions may be done.

  • Medications to reduce oxidative damage like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, S-Adenosyl methionine and Silymarin may be given. These help protect red blood cells.

  • The vet may give gastrointestinal protectants to reduce absorption of onion compounds. Activated charcoal binds toxins in the GI tract.

  • Blood tests will need to be monitored in the days after ingestion to check blood cell counts as anemia can worsen over time.

  • Supportive care, fluids, antioxidants and anemia medications may be required for 1-2 weeks depending on severity.

  • Once the rabbit recovers fully with normal blood cell counts, they can return to their normal diet.

So immediate veterinary care with blood testing, anemia treatment and supportive therapy is crucial following onion ingestion. With prompt care, many rabbits recover well without long lasting effects. But delay can be fatal.

Can Rabbits Eat Other Kinds Of Onions?

All parts and varieties of onions are toxic to rabbits due to the sulfur compounds they contain. This includes:

  • Yellow, white, red onions

  • Shallots

  • Leeks

  • Green onions

  • Chives

  • Garlic

  • Pearl onions

  • Scallions

So feeding any type or part of an onion is dangerous. Even dishes flavored with onions or garlic should not be fed. Some specific types of onions include:

  • Yellow, white and red onions – The most common types. High in disulfides and sulfoxides.

  • Shallots – Small elongated onions higher in thiosulphate content. Very toxic.

  • Leeks – Look like large scallions but with broader leaves. Just as toxic as other onions.

  • Green onions and scallions – Immature onions harvested early before bulbs form. Leaves and stems are still toxic.

  • Chives – Fine and hollow green leaves. Part of the onion family. Avoid feeding rabbits.

  • Garlic – A type of onion high in allicin and other sulfur compounds. Extremely toxic to rabbits.

  • Pearl onions – Small white round bulbs. Just as dangerous as other types.

So no matter what variety of onion it is, it should be kept far away from pet rabbits. The toxicity is due to sulfur compounds present in all onions. Even tiny amounts can be dangerous. Stick to healthy rabbit-safe foods instead.

Can I Give Any Part Of The Onion To My Rabbit?

All parts of the onion plant including leaves, roots, fleshy scales, bulb and stem contain the toxic compounds. So rabbits should not be fed any part of an onion plant.


  • The fleshy bulbs of onions that we eat contain high amounts of disulfides and thiosulphates. Very dangerous.

  • The green leaves and shoots also contain the toxic compounds. Avoid feeding onion greens.

  • The white root portions contain thiosulphates though relatively lower amounts. Still unsafe.

  • The outer dried paper-like layers contain oxidants and other sulfur compounds. Not safe at all.

  • Even the juices extracted from onion bulbs are loaded with the toxic thiosulphates and disulfides.

  • Cooked or baked onion flesh or dishes flavored with onions should never be fed.

  • Dried onion powder is also hazardous as the compounds remain in dried form.

So no matter which part of the onion plant or in what form – raw, dried, cooked or juice – it should never be given to pet rabbits due to the high risk of toxicity. Even tiny amounts can be dangerous. Avoid onion in all forms.

What Are The Symptoms Of A Rabbit Eating Onion?

Onion toxicity causes damage to the red blood cells and anemia in rabbits. Symptoms reflect the effects of severe anemia and may include:

  • Lethargy and reluctance to move due to lack of oxygen

  • Rapid or difficulty breathing from anemia

  • Poor appetite or digestion issues

  • Gastrointestinal upset like drooling or diarrhea

  • Rapid heart rate and pale gums due to anemia

  • Yellowish mucous membranes

  • Passing dark brown urine due to hemoglobin breakdown

  • Hunched posture indicating discomfort

  • Icterus or yellowing of ears and body due to anemia

  • Purple or bluish ears and limbs from poor oxygen circulation

  • Constipation from dehydration

  • Death in severe cases due to heart, respiratory or renal failure

If onion ingestion is suspected, look for these symptoms immediately and bring to an emergency vet. Early symptoms may be non-specific like lethargy or inappetence. But dark urine is very indicative of onion toxicity in rabbits. Act quickly to prevent severe, potentially fatal anemia.

What Else Can Rabbits Have?

Though onions are unsafe, there are many healthy and delicious fruits and vegetables that rabbits can eat instead as part of a balanced diet. Some rabbit-safe foods include:

  • Leafy greens like romaine lettuce, kale, parsley, cilantro, basil

  • Carrot and carrot tops

  • Celery sticks

  • Broccoli and cauliflower

  • Apple slices

  • Banana slices

  • Strawberries and raspberries

  • Cucumber slices

  • Green pepper strips

  • Small amount of pomegranate seeds or arils

  • Timothy hay and grass

  • Oaten hay and alfalfa hay

  • Herbs like dill, mint or basil

  • Certain fresh sprouts like wheatgrass or oat sprouts

Also provide clean drinking water always. Limit sugary treats. Avoid human junk food. Get proper minerals and vitamins through pelleted feeds. This combination helps meet all the nutritional needs of pet rabbits. Monitor for any signs of GI upset when introducing new foods. With a varied, vegetable-rich diet, there is no need to even consider toxic onions!

In summary

Onions contain toxic compounds that damage red blood cells and cause severe anemia in rabbits. All parts of onions are unsafe including bulbs, leaves, stems and juice. Even tiny amounts can be dangerous over time. Immediately contact a vet if onion ingestion is suspected. With prompt treatment, many rabbits recover fully. Provide a nutritious diet of leafy greens, vegetables and hay instead of toxic human foods like onions. Monitor rabbit health closely and be careful of accidentally feeding onion-tainted foods. Avoiding onion ingestion and prompt care during toxicity can help keep pet rabbits healthy and thriving.


Leave a Comment